Five Simple Ways To Fall Asleep In Minutes
Getting enough sleep is crucial to our wellbeing and mental health. Allowing our minds to collaborate and process our emotions, it is also one of the first things to go when we have kids. Along with a weekend immune system this lack of sleep can make us more prone to depression and anxiety, something us mums are already vulnerable to.
With waking children to contend with, the last thing we need is racing thoughts preventing us from drifting off quickly and naturally. So if you’re struggling to falling asleep after 5-15 minutes of being in bed, then Harley Street’s own hypnotherapist Fiona Lamb is here to help with her five simple methods to fall asleep in five minutes:
1. Tension body scan - releasing any tension prepares your body for sleep. This relaxation technique involves doing a full body scan by squeezing and relaxing each muscle. Start at your toes and move up your body, being aware of each part of your body in turn.
2. Focus on your breathing - if you breathe quickly when you get into bed it will be much harder to relax and be calm – and so fall asleep. By slowing down your inhaling and exhaling you regulate your nervous system. Focus on slow, soft breaths.
3. Roll your eyes backwards - you can simulate the same eye movement you experience in sleep by rolling your eyes upwards and back. If you do this three times you will automatically feel yourself going into a deeper relaxation.
4. Hum to yourself - studies have shown that the vibrations of humming can relax you. It can also act as a distraction from anything unwanted that pops into your mind. Be sure to choose a song that isn't too fast or reminds you of anything emotional!
5. Visualise - use the power of your mind to focus on calming and restful images. Imagine going back to a time you felt deeply relaxed and content. This works best when you use at least three senses so think about what you saw, felt and tasted.
Fiona Lamb is an accredited and registered member of the General Hypnotherapy Council which is the leading professional body in the country. https://www.fionalamb.com